• Főépület
  • Környék
  • apartman
  • étterem
  • Jóga terem
  • apartmanok
  • étterem + rendezvényközpont

Ruins of the Benedictine Abbey, Somogyvár

 

Ruins of the Benedictine Abbey, Somogyvár

Prince Koppány`s castle, Somogyvár, was a significant cultural and cultic center in the Middle Ages. His Abbey, which was one of the era`s largest and most legendary establishments, was built over 900 years ago for French benedictine monks invited by Saint Ladislaus.
Some experts believe that monks living in the Abbey noted down the "Funeral Sermon and Prayer", the oldest handwritten Hungarian text.

It was also the resting place of Saint Ladislaus, the Hungarian monastery-founder knight-king, for 40 years.

Monks fled the fortress-wall protected monastery and church when the Turk threat strenghtened and the monastery served as a border castle later on. In due course of time the once magnificent monastery and the huge church slowly became prey to time.

The ruins were declared national historical memorial in 1983 and by now, after the excavations and reconstructions, they became a real visitor attraction. 

Back

Share

Contact

Phone: (+36) 20/411-9199

Peter Borka Sales manager

E-mail: info@radheresort.hu

Address: 7 Táncsics M. street 8699 Somogyvámos, Hungary

Operator: TÓ.G.A. Ltd. 
Headquarter:
 54 Árpád street, 1039 Budapest, Hungary 
Premise:
  7 Táncsics M. street 8699 Somogyvámos, Hungary
Tax ID: 12121924-2-41 

Our partners: